Thursday, February 11, 2010

दीपावली



I remember the first time I heard about Diwali.
It was in 9th grade when I was studying the ancient civilizations like Mesopotamia.
For about a month the teacher split us into the groups of four, and we would piece our way through primary sources, trying to understand some aspects of these cultures.
Some how we began discussing religions, and Hinduism came up.
I automatically thought of my local Indian restaurant, Royal.
The restaurant was decorated from head to toe with gold elephants, lights, wall hangings, and soft music.
The food was enriched with several spices and indescribably amazing.
Anyways, after I was done day dreaming about Indian food I tuned back in.
My friend Nadia raised her hand and shared her favorite holiday.
It's called Diwali. It's a festival of lights. Or so I understood.

While the celebration usually involves thousands of candles, the five days are also spent celebrating the "inner light".
Meaning the eternal place beyond the mind and body.
The ultimate search for Atman.
A time to celebrate the birth of the most divine destination.
It also marks the end of Harvest time for many farmers.





I've never been able to see a celebration of this lovely holiday,
but I hope one day I will.
It seems so beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment